As approved at the AGM of the Bury Area Chess League on 19 July 2017
Constitution of the Bury St Edmunds Chess Congress
The Organisation will be called the Bury St Edmunds Chess Congress and will be affiliated to and overseen by the Bury Area Chess League.
The name of events run by the Organisation may differ from the name of the Organisation to reflect a major contribution from an event partner.
2. Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the Organisation will be:
- To run an annual Chess Congress for the benefit, development and enjoyment of Chess players locally.
- To provide an opportunity for local players, especially juniors, to experience competitive chess at a first class chess event.
- To encourage entries from across the UK and beyond in order to benefit local businesses and thereby the wider community.
- To ensure a duty of care to all those competing in the event.
- To provide all its services in a way that is fair to everyone.
- To operate the Congress at neither a profit nor a loss.
- Where permitted by local and national governing bodies, to provide an opportunity for local players to qualify to compete in the British Chess Championships.
- To recognize the support of event partners and include their names and logos on the entry form, website and other publicity materials whenever it is reasonably to do so.
3. Officers of the Committee
Membership will consist of the following Officers:
An individual may fill more than one of these roles. Each Officer is given authority to make any decision within his or her remit, but extraordinary decisions should be referred to the full Committee.
Additional persons may be appointed to assist in the running of the event but will not hold an office. Examples include the positions of Arbiter and Equipment Manager.
4. Annual General Meetings
Election of Officers takes place at the AGM of the Bury Area Chess League and is subject to the rules of that organisation.
5. Discipline and Appeals
All complaints regarding the behaviour of Officers should be submitted in writing to the Administrative Secretary of the Bury Area Chess League.
Any monies for the Organisation will be banked in accounts held in the name of “Bury Area Chess League Congress”.
The accounts for the Organisation will be presented at the AGM of the Bury Area Chess League.
Officers will give their time to the event free of charge. Expenses incurred in organising or running the event may be charged back to the event.
A resolution to dissolve the Organisation can only be passed at an AGM or EGM of the Bury Area Chess League.
In the event of dissolution, any assets of the event that remain will become the property of the Bury Area Chess League.
9. Amendments to the Constitution
This constitution will only be changed through agreement of a two-thirds majority vote at an AGM or EGM of the Bury Area Chess League.